Sunday, March 6, 2011

The end of East of Eden

As I was finishing East of Eden I had a feeling that someone was going to die and that it would probably be Aron. However, I did not expect Adam to have a stroke and then for Lee to get his blessing for Cal as he was dying. As I was reading these last few pages all I could think about was Jacob and Esau. The story is similar, one son killed the other son and then one son stole the other sons blessing from his fathers favorite son. Lee, in this case, acts as the mother figure, protecting the son who needs it the most. I'm not sure if Lee actually liked Cal more, as in the Jacob and Esau story, or if he wanted to make sure that both sons were loved by someone and given the attention they needed whether it was from their father or Lee. In some situations, it seemed as if Lee found amusement in Cal and that is why he protected him until the end. Either way, the biblical allusions in East of Eden never end.

No comments:

Post a Comment