Saturday, September 25, 2010

Why all the rules?

I will never cease being surprised by the stories in our literature book. Every time I start I can't help but think of them as required reading but soon I'm rereading them not for clarity but in amazement.

This week my "amazing" story was Girl by Jamaica Kincaid. I was confused at first, not exactly sure what was going on but I soon saw the sarcasm in her words, which said, "Why all the rules?" This story was placed very nicely in our Beford texts, considering we are a bunch of rebellious, authority hating teenagers. Some of the rules enforced on us don't even have a real reason for them, just "because I told you so!" The no-hat rule? Shaving a 5-o-clock shadow? Both of these incidents can be taking to an extreme by students, but we were never given the chance to prove that we wouldn't. So why all the rules?

I also, relate to this story because she's a girl. I feel, even with the changing of times, we are all being groomed to get our "Mrs." title. Our MRS degree. We learn how to take care of our man and our homes. Like the girl in Girl it can feel kind of overwhelming. I don't think it's as bad as it used to be, mainly just a small joke and a silent truth which we all try to ignore.

1 comment:

  1. I hate that young women, though given "rights," are still taught day after day how to be a good wife. A good wife is nice and skinny and patient and willing to have children and always has pretty hair and dotes on her husband (of course, never her "wife") and makes good sandwiches; and if you don't do all of that, you're screwed. It seems our biggest change in rights is we can substitute corsets for diet pills.

    Good blog, Sara. And good job for NOT ignoring it. :]

    ReplyDelete